College of Design Student Blogs

Spontaneous Relocation to South Dakota

After a few weeks of leisurely lake life back at home in Southwest Minnesota, my lack of productivity was beginning to make me antsy. As a person who really likes keeping busy, I felt compelled to find real employment of some sort rather than spend the summer working for my parents and picking rocks out of the fields (i.e., rock picking). During my three-year hiatus from rural farm life, I had nearly forgotten that finding a job worthy of being put of my résumé is hard to come by in Minnesota's prairie hinterlands. After putting forth a solid effort to find decent work off the farm, my search yielded few possibilities.

IMG_2480.JPG

In the midst of this situation, a good buddy of mine from high school now living in (Sioux Falls, SD) was having a crisis of his own after his roommate at the time packed up and left, without finding anyone to pay rent in her place. With Sioux Falls being only an hour or so away from my hometown, I saw this as a window of opportunity to get a job and get back on the grind. After staying in Sioux Falls for a few days, I landed a sales position at Best Buy. Now I'm spending my summer working, enjoying civic life once again, and making new friends. I also joined a beach volleyball team!

Because I'm a housing major, I obviously can't help but subconsciously analyze the housing around these parts and thought I'd share a few of my observations with you all. Starting with my own housing situation in Sioux Falls, I live in an apartment building that was once a hotel. It has been completely renovated and expanded to places of residence, and was well executed, but it still gives off hotel vibes (pool and hot tub on the main floor, among other typical hotel amenities), which is interesting.

IMG_2617.JPG

My other housing observation/experience was when a friend took us on a weekend retreat to her family's house in rural South Dakota. As you can see in the picture, they live in the middle of a wind farm. The house's surrounding landscape was grass, crops, and wind turbines as far as the eye could see, which was also pretty interesting.

I'll check back in with you all in a few weeks!

Jesse - Housing Studies, B.S.