College of Design Student Blogs

Summer Trips: Museums

The summer break from school is a great time to take some trips, be they near or far! My family was able to take a trip out to the West Coast this past week, and spent time in San Francisco. Whenever I'm out on trips, I try to check into all the local art museums for exhibits that interest me, or are relevant to my major. I recommend looking into these museums, because they usually have some great exhibits on textiles, ancient fashion and costume, etc. They also sometimes have free nights (like at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, or the Art Institute in Chicago), where admission is free of charge. They almost always also have student rate tickets, where you get a nice discount just by showing your University of Minnesota ID!

In San Francisco I was able to visit the de Young Museum in Golden Gate Park, which in beautiful! The museum has an amazing 9 story tall observation tower (free!) where you can see all of San Francisco and Golden Gate Park. But the best part of my trip was visiting the Jean Paul Gaultier, my all time favorite high fashion designer, exhibit on display! (With my student ID I got in at a nice discount!) Having the experience of seeing his designs up close, after seeing them online and in books etc., was amazing, and more importantly: inspirational! I took so many photos and those really got the creative juices flowing, which should help for my senior line! Below is a picture from the show!

IMG_0994.JPG

Lucie, Apparel Design