College of Design Student Blogs

Return from Long Beach!

I'm back in the Midwest folks! Overall it was a great week! I had a lot to do, and it was rather stressful at times, but it was super fun and I learned a lot!

It started out with my flight being delayed 7 hours, which was annoying but not awful. I got into the hotel Monday evening and caught up with the other student assistants. Three were from the University of Minnesota, all studying apparel design with me, and a few others were from other schools and organizations around the nation including Missouri and North Carolina! It was great to meet new people and connect with the professionally and personally.

Wednesday and Thursday I assisted with two classes with instructors other than Dr. Dunne. In one I learned about indigo dying methods and techniques, which was great to add to my knowledge of surface design. (I have taken two different surface design studios at the University and loved both.) The other was about using the thermal plastic properties of fibers (synthetic fibers that react to heat and can be permanently pressed into a shape) to create flattering designs. Both great classes!

Dr. Dunne's class was Friday afternoon and it was fabulous. It was great to see so many new people learning and being successful with electronics and fabrics! We helped the students with creating circuits that powered LEDs, light sensors and vibrating motors. The true test of knowing something is to teach it, so now I know my knowledge of e-textiles to be good!

Below is a picture of some pieces Dr Dunne created to show as examples for the workshop:

IMG_20120719_164202.jpg

Lucie, Apparel Design