College of Design Student Blogs

Summer Reads

I've been doing a lot of leisure reading so far this summer, like a lot compared to other summer breaks. I think that most of it has to do with the extreme heat we (and the rest of America) have been having weather-wise. Air conditioning for the win.

Anyways, here are a few good books that I've enjoyed so far this summer:

151296-L.jpg snowchild-lg.jpg 200px-Hunger_games.jpg

Nature and the Idea of a Man-Made World by Norman Crowe is actually kind of a re-read from a previous design theory class, but it has a lot of interesting housing-related material that we didn't cover in class. It's actually an interesting and intellectual book that would be good for any prospective students out there looking to get a head start!

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivy has recently become one of my favorite novels. It's loosely based on an old Russian folk tale and takes place in the 1920s Alaskan frontier. An older couple without children move north to the Alaskan wilderness to start a new life, when they start seeing a little girl in the snowy forest outside their home...it makes me miss the snow so much. I'm pretty much ready for winter to come.

And obviously, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I'm probably the last person I know who hadn't read this book. Regardless, it was a good read and also a pretty decent movie.

Any of you all read any good books this summer?

- Jesse
Housing Studies, B.S.