College of Design Student Blogs

Back to School!

Hello everyone! I hope your last week of summer and transition back to school went smoothly! As a reminder for the new year, my name is Sean and I am a in my 5th semester of the Graphic Design program. Now that school has started again, I will be blogging weekly about school, design, student life, and more so be sure to check back.

This was my first year at school that I didn't move into a new place on campus because my roommates and I liked our house (read: each other) enough to want to stay another year. It was great not having to move, as the whole process can be stressful and sometimes expensive if you need to rent a moving truck or purchase a lot of things for a new house or apartment. I helped a lot of my friends move and got food in return, which is always welcome. Several of my friends moved in to the other unit within our two-unit house, so it is basically one big 8-person house without the pain of sorting out bills for 8 people. In summary: not moving, free food, living with a bunch of friends. Win/win/win.

This semester I will be taking 3 design classes: GD 1: Text and Image; Design and it's Discontents; and Web and Interface. Our first project in GD 1 is going to be making business cards for ourselves. I'm pretty excited about this because 1: I've been meaning to do it for awhile; and 2: I think I have a good idea of what I'd like to do. It's great to have business cards to hand out for networking or future work purposes when you are at a design event or talking to a design professional. Design and it's Discontents is a new class in the GD curriculum so I am not quite sure of what it will entail, but will definitely give some updates when I do. Our first project in Web and Interface will be developing a prototype for an iPhone application. I am pretty excited about that!

I'll leave with a picture from my friend's cabin in Mosinee, WI where we had our last hurrah before school starts and spent the weekend fishing and hiking. School sure came up quick.

boatlake.JPG

Check back next week for more!

Sean M.
Graphic Design