College of Design Student Blogs

Back to school!

This is it folks, senior year! I cannot wait to jump right into this great semester and dive straight into my biggest project ever: my senior line for my final studio class! For those of you who aren't familiar with these blogs or me, here is a little reap!

The College of Design has students, like myself, in all the majors within the College write weekly blogs about our experiences and goings on around the city and campus. It is a great way for us to share bits of knowledge we have gained, especially with new students, be they freshmen or transfers!

And about me! My name is Lucie and I am a senior studying apparel design, with a minor in retail merchandising. I am originally from Iowa City, IA, but relocated to the Twin Cities three years ago to go to school. I visited the University my senior year of high school and fell in love with the faculty, facilities, classes and campus; and I've been here ever since!

I go to school full time, varying from 13 credits to 17 credits depending on the semester, and I also try to keep involved in the local fashion industry etc. I work two different part time jobs: one, which is funded through work study, is working as a student assistant to the Dean's Office in Rapson Hall. The second is a fit expert position at Nani Nalu Beachwear Boutique in Edina MN. Both have something to do with my major and career studies, so that's great. I really recommend trying to find a job, or volunteer position, outside of school that relates to your major and career goals. Networking with professionals and people in the industry really helps you feel more comfortable with your abilities and can lead to great opportunities later.

As I said before, my biggest project this semester will be my senior line. The College of Design holds an annual fashion show in February showcasing the seniors' work: typically between 4 and 5 complete looks. Here is a photo of my inspiration for my line!

Mulligan_L_Inspiration.jpg

Lucie, Apparel Design