College of Design Student Blogs

Back When I was Younger...I Did These in Classes

Hello again,

I hope the first couple weeks of classes treated you well. Being here for over 3 years, I do classes can get more intense as the semester goes on. So, make sure you take care of your health, manage your time, money, and classes carefully. If you haven't make appointment for a free flu shot, here is the link: http://www.bhs.umn.edu/public-health/flu.htm

Being back in Rapson Hall and seeing students working on their projects remind me of how much fun I had in the past years. During my first-year around this time, I had class ARCH 1701 The Design Environment. One of the projects was to design a picnic pavilion nearby the lake on a given piece of land. This pavilion was for the family of Professor Lavine. We were also given a very specific set of materials we allowed to use. They were cardboard pieces with different dimension. The rule is to use all of the pieces, but no extra piece is allowed. It was the first architecture-related project I have ever done.

lance.jpg

Picnic Pavillion from class ARCH 1701

I took ARCH 2301 Introduction to Drawing in Architecture in fall semester of my sophomore year. The class was a lot of fun. I was familiar with fine arts drawing, but architecture drawing was something totally different and new. I learned a lot from the class, including my style of drawing and representation technique. One of the assignments was to compare light from two similar places. The first place I chose was the Chapel of the Capuchinas by Lius Barragan. The second place was the Guthrie Theater by Jean Nouvel. At first, my focus was on the characteristic of the windows that allowed light in for both places. They were long and narrow windows that extended from floor to ceiling. The more I analyzed the light; I found that the reflection of the light casting on the walls in both places had more impact on the objects in front of it. I never knew I would end up with the result that was far beyond my original though.

light.jpg

Light Analysis drawings from class ARCH 2301

Here are some advices I would like to leave you with:
1. Make every project the best you have ever done
2. Ask questions, lots of questions
3. Keep thinking and sketching your thoughts out, think more, and continue to sketch.

See you next blog!
Beau S.
Architecture B.D.A.