College of Design Student Blogs

Courses of the Semester

So now that I'm approaching my third week of the semester, I thought it would be a good time to outline each of the courses I am taking.

photo.jpegMaterials & Specifications (IDES 2612)
This class covers specifications related to materials and resources one might use when designing a space. It's an important class because you learn a lot about codes that when in effect, protect the user of a space. A particularly fascinating part of the class is the aspects of sustainability. We've been talking a lot about responsible design and the impact a designer can have on the environment.

CAD: Interior Design (IDES 2621)
This class focuses on teaching students how to use technology as apart of the design process. CAD stands for "computer-aided design", and it's exactly that. We are currently learning how to use Revit, a design program used to create floor plans, elevations, and 3-D representations of designed spaces. I'm impressed that I have the opportunity to learn this software in as a student because it's pretty much brand new and professional designers are just beginning to learn this software as well. Many people say Revit is the future for computer-aided design, and I feel lucky that my curriculum is up-to-the-minute.

3bf1e836005711e29b6b22000a1e9e0a_6.jpegTextile Analysis (ADES 2213)
This class dissects a wide assortment of textiles and studies the characteristics of each. It's beneficial because it helps designers to be aware of what types of fabric are good for specific uses. This class also has a lab where we conduct studies and experiments. We even light fabrics on fire from time to time to study burn rates!

Interior Design Studio III (IDES 2603)
Studio consists of learning a skill and then applying it by having an assignment or project to complete. Right now we're just getting into rendering, sketching and adding colors to drawings. We're learning how to do perspective drawings of interior spaces which is a helpful tool when you meet with clients and need to put an idea on paper asap.

If you have any specific questions about courses I'm taking, or anything else for that matter, do not hesitate to ask me! Just leave a comment below :)

Ashley
Interior Design

I would like to ask, What software needed to use CAD computer-aided design for interior design?