College of Design Student Blogs

First Day! Hey Hey!

IMG_1163.JPGSo today was the first day of Fall semester here at the University of Minnesota. It's crazy how fast summer came and went. I mean, it was definitely a busy summer, so I can see why! I worked two jobs, interned, and tried to have a social life.

I got things off to a good start today by waking up nice and early so I could make sure I was 100% ready for classes and work. I was able to take my time getting ready, sip a cup of coffee, and eat a solid breakfast.

The first thing I had to do today was head into the office to train in a new student employee, Carissa. We went through front desk procedures and tackled the basic tasks and information necessary for the job. I trained in another student employee last week, Lee, and it seems like both are super smart and way fast learners! They only just started and they're already champs. It's so nice that we're all able to work on campus, and especially right in McNeal Hall. A lot of us are design students who also have many of our classes in McNeal so you can't really get much more convenient than that. For those looking for on campus jobs, you can always check out the student employment website. Postings are updated pretty often and there's a wide variety of positions to choose from so there's pretty much something for everyone.

After training, I headed to my first class of the day, Materials & Specifications of Interior Design course. Pam Enz is the professor and I can already tell I'm gunna love her! The class will teach us a lot about building codes and the responsibility that interior designers have to make wise choices when selecting materials and creating floor plans. Once that class was over, I had a break to pick up some books and supplies from the campus bookstore. Then I headed over to my CAD course that is held in the computer lab. This class teaches us how to use 3-D design software that professionals in firms and businesses are currently using. It's nice going to a larger University because they're able to keep us up to date with what's happening in the real world.

Gotta go hit the books!
I'll post again next week.

Ashley
Interior Design