College of Design Student Blogs

So Driven...to Discover

Hello all,

I cannot describe how thankful I am to be a part of College of Design. We have world class faculty, access to one of the best facilities in the country, and highly motivated students. Earlier this summer, the Dean Tom Fisher announced the search for a Public Interest Design Director. This alone describes how much the College of Design cares about its students and the community.

That's being said, a lot of the works being done around here are kind of big deal...I am talking nationally/globally big deal. Students, I highly recommend that you get to know your professors and TAs. The works that they are doing are fascinating. One of my TAs last year, Molly E., did a research on the topic of surviving 100 days without oil. Molly has a book published and you may find her blog here. Another TA of mine, Abby K., went to Haiti to work with Architecture for Humanity. These are only the ones that I had classes with. Imagine the rest of Architecture department and the things they are working on. Now, you really have to get to know your professors and TAs.

100days.jpg

Picture from Molly's Blog "100 Days Without Oil"

You may wonder why I wrote this "letter" confessing my love to the College of Design. I am just sad it is my last year here. I would love to stay in Minneapolis, but the world is so big and I have a lot left to explore. My senior year schedule is filled with graduate school and internship applications. I will be using the services from the Career and Internship Services and the Writing Center...and you should too.

As I mentioned in the earlier blog, I want to pursue a career in humanitarian design. My specific interest in the design field is furniture design. I hope to somehow combine the two together using furniture design to solve issues at hand. I am sure I will discover it some day as long as I am driven to discover. Haaaaaa! See what I did there?

vladimir kagan.jpg

My recent visit to a local furniture studio to conduct an informational interview. I had a chance to sit on a piece by a famous designer, Vladimir Kagan.

For now...I am going to leave you with a link to Boynton Health Clinic. Winter is coming, please stay healthy. You don't want to be sick while having a ton of studio works to do. Go get a free flu shot!

See you next blog,
Beau Sinchai
Architecture B.D.A.

Keep functioning ,great job!

Everyone just *feels* for that kitty...it's wonderful!