College of Design Student Blogs

Welcome Back Gophers!

Hello friends,

I hope your semester is off to a great start! From now, I will be updating blog weekly due to popular demand.

For some reason, I do not have that tingly first-day-of-class feeling. Maybe it is because I have been working on campus for the entire summer...or maybe the reality has not hit me yet that this is my last year of undergrad.

Last week during Welcome Week, I had a chance to welcome Class of 2016 at the Convocation event at Mariucci. Seeing over 5,500 first-year students in one place was beyond amazing. It was hard to believe that these are the students I worked with directly, and these are the students I orientated. Many of the Orientation Leaders, including myself, were tearing up. This was a beautiful result of all the hard work we have been doing for the whole summer.

convocation.jpg

Class of 2016 Convocation

President Eric Kaler, Dean Tom Fisher, and many of College of Design staff and faculty were also there. Then, I saw myself on the screen of Mariucci during Convocation. I was semi-embarrassed, and semi-flattered. I feel like I was representing CDes by saying I am majoring in Architecture in the College of Design. This was also the first time I saw myself speak. I never imagined I would talk, act, and move that way before. I highly recommended everyone to record a video of you while speaking. You will at least get a good laugh from it.

I reacted fast enough to record a short video from the screen. Oh yes, I took a video of myself. I wish they would do a reply just so I can record the whole thing. However, I am sure President Kaler would not care for the second time.

Being part of Welcome Week definitely made me excited for school again. All of the classes I take this semester are very interesting. I cannot wait to repurpose old furniture in my furniture design class, and spend time in the painting studio for my painting class. Not to mention other architecture and design classes I am in. This will be a great semester!

See you next blog,

Beau Sinchai
Architecture B.D.A.