College of Design Student Blogs

Computer Aided Design

Hello readers! I hope everyone is having a wonderful start to their week, and a very Happy Halloween to you all!

This week I thought I would talk about the Computer Aided Design opportunities and resources at the University, or CAD as it is called for short. There are the obvious Adobe Creative Suite programs like Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign, that all help with design in general. When creating mood-boards or style boards, as well as tweaking hand drawn illustrations, or illustrating on the computer, photoshop and InDesign are great programs to have on hand. The programs themselves can be a bit pricy, but the University bookstore gives you a pretty good deal on them, or you can do what I do, and just use the computers in any of the University libraries. You can always have access to the programs while you're a student which is great. Illustrator is especially helpful when creating flats, or technical drawings, which are very specific drawings to show how the garments will be constructed.

Here is an example of a flat:
jessica.jpg

A big CAD opportunity that is unique to Apparel Design, is the Optitex program. Optitex is a 3D digital patterning software, with simulation capabilities. This means that you can use the Body Imaging lab in McNeal to scan in yourself or your model, and then use a digital version of that person to create patterns for, and try on in the program! Here is an image of some of my simulated work.

BodyScan.png

You are also able to create patterns by using Optitex, and print them off to use to create the real garments. Really cool software!

Lucie, Apparel design