College of Design Student Blogs

Do it the Fair Way

Hello again!,

It is officially half way into the semester! I hope everyone is having a fun time with midterms and projects. Remember to get sleep, eat well, and find some time to take care of your social need. I am lucky enough that I don't have any official midterm test this semester. So, I have been spending my time preparing for the Government and Non-Profit Career Fair that is happening this Friday.

You may wonder how Architecture is related to Government and Non-Profit. Having a degree in Architecture doesn't mean that being an architect is the only choice you have for your career. It is more important to evaluate what skills and knowledge did you gain and apply those to the field that is right for you. I mentioned in my earlier blogs about my dream of working in humanitarian field. So, I hope that I will find interesting internship opportunities at this career fair.

resume.jpg

My resumes and cover letters after several critiques

For the preparation, I visited the Career and Internship Services for College of Design to have my resume critiqued. I also went to the Center for Writing for help with cover letter writing. The Career and Internship Services also have other kinds of tips and advice such as how to dress for interview, how to negotiate salary, etc. You can also visit their website for upcoming events and career fairs. My advice is to also attend the Career Fair outside your major. Who knows, you may be the candidate they are looking for. Take advantage of all the resources that are available to you, and you are guaranteed to succeed.

See you next blog,
Beau S.
Architecture B.D.A.