College of Design Student Blogs

Landforms BLOWN UP ...(in scale)

Hey everyone! Hope your reading this during a nice coffee or tea break from work (its still sunny outside btw!!)

Well if your working hard today like me, keep something on your schedule to reward yourself with, like doing a yoga class, baking cookies, or go for a run/walk by the river (we are closer to the river at Rapson than you might think!) As some of you may know I am going on the study abroad program Architecture in Istanbul and its filling my time with paper work. I am getting a lot of help from my adviser Chris Schlichting who is awesome, a wonderful resource and person I get to know by being in the Landscaping Planning track. It is small enough so that you get time and presence with almost all the staff and faculty who you know.

Screen shot 2012-10-31 at 9.47.02 AM.png
So here is what I am working on, looking forward to and wondering about. First for LA 3001 with Brad Agee and Tony Chevalier we are looking at a land form that we had to re-shape, made a 11"x17" model (tough stuff to visualize), then we are taking a portion, 8.5"x5.5" and blowing that up 200% so that we have a 11"x17" model of a part of our original model. If that is not enough to twist your brain, now we have to inform our models with vegetation! This is something I have been looking forward to all semester, but arts and crafts time it is not. We have to plan a variety of types of trees, ground cover, shrubs with materials that are nontraditional for model making. My plan is to use a monochromatic color palette of beads and jewelery parts.
This week MLA graduate and adjunct teacher Tony Chevalier said you need to get at least a Top 5 for trees and vegetation going. So I have been working on compiling some favorites! Which are your favorite trees or vegetation?
MIne include but are not limited to: The Willow tree, Dogwood, White Fir tree, Asparagus Fern, and definitely must include the Lilac. The Lilac is beautiful, grows in the wild and smells amazing. If you cannot recall the names of your favorites use the plant encyclopedia to help you sort by type of vegetation, color, hardiness zone, or height. I'll be forever thinking about trees.

until next week...
Sarah S.
Landscape Design and Planning Major BED

Sarah,

I'm glad you're working on your list! Dogwoods are a particular favorite of mine as well.