College of Design Student Blogs

Pimp My Ride - Dumpster Chair

Hello again!

The best part of the semester is getting better. I talked about how chair design is closely related to architecture in my past blog, which we perform an autopsy on a sofa to see the structure inside. Well, now it is time to get to the fun part, designing. In one of my classes, we are re-purposing old chairs. The limitation was the chair must be found through dumpster dive, off the street, or alike. It must be free. It can't belong to someone you know. I went on several walks and bike rides around campus until I found this chair. I must say that the plus side of this project was staying fit.

PMR.jpg

Portrait of the chair in use with different angles

The goal was to modify this chair with any concept you want. My concept was to make it fit my style of working...on the floor. I do everything on the floor, so it only makes sense to make a chair fit my need instead of adjusting my sitting habit. Right now, I am at the stage of using the pieces when I work on the floor to see how I can design this better. I will be sure to share with you when the project is done.

PMR pieces.jpg

Pieces of the chair

It was quite a challenge for me to use power tools to tear the chair apart. Good thing the staff members at W.L. workshop (aka wood workshop) are super wonderful. They will not do your project for you, but they will help you with all sort of questions you may come up with. The best thing is when they said "we are here to help. If you need to ask us five times about the same things, we will answer you five times to help you become better at it." So, don't be shy about asking them for help.

Happy dumpster diving and see you next blog!

Beau S.
Architecture B.D.A.

I love this designed chair related useful information. I appreciate your stuff with nice images.