College of Design Student Blogs

Senior Line Reality

Hello everyone, hope your week is starting off swimmingly. Mine has been going quite well and I'll tell you why! This past weekend and this week I am getting right into the midst of my senior line. I am no longer drawing or thinking about it, instead I am patterning, draping and working with my models. It is really exciting to see my pieces as more than just a sketch or some plain fabric, and more of a real thing!

In apparel design and fabrication there are many ways to create 3d shapes and real clothes, two of which, that you will learn about in depth at the University, are flat patterning and draping. Both have their places and as you learn and get more experienced you figure out when one method is better than the others.

Flat pattering is where you use measurements and physically draw out a pattern piece, with shaping darts, etc., on pattern paper and use it to cut fabric and sew. Draping is using fabric, usually inexpensive cotton like Muslin, and drape, pin and make shapes on the form or mannequin itself. Draping is great if your model is the same size as your mannequin, and/or if you're creating something with a lot of volume or draped fabric. For example, you might drape a beautifully flowing and organic looking evening dress. Flat patterning is better for structured pieces, and when working with models of different sizes/proportions than the mannequins. Personally, for my line, I am working with models of varying sizes, and my designs are more structured, so flat patterning works best. I will be draping certain aspects of my line, but the majority will be patterned flat.

I also got to meet with my models for the first time and I love all of them! Some of them are my friends or models I have worked with in the past, but some were new, and I am just so excited to work with all of them. My models range from a size 6 to a size 14, which is who I want to design for: the real woman!

Here is a sneak peak of my line!

imagejpeg_2_22.jpg

Lucie, Apparel Design