College of Design Student Blogs

Collaboration is the Key

Sitting, waiting for class to begin. The clock strikes 3 'o clock. The professor clears her throat and announces that our next assignment is a GROUP assignment. Mixed reactions and expressions can be observed as you scan the classroom. And then, an eruption of chatter, no one word is recognizable.

Now, I don't know if any of this sounds familiar, but as many of us know, group projects are often associated with a wide variety of conceptions. These conceptions fall all across the spectrum of positive to negative. For some, when a group project is announced, jumping for joy only seems natural. And for others, shuddering in fear is an involuntary reaction. I fall somewhere in the middle of that because I see the pros and cons upfront.

photo.jpgSo, to the point. Our first group project was announced last week in Interior Design Studio III. Group projects are pretty common in college and I've encountered them before. They usually don't scare be and I often look forward to working with a group. The thing though is that up until this point in our careers as IDES students, none of us had worked in teams to design something.

The task was to select materials and finishes that fit a concept. Our group selected the word "Alternative" to be the guiding inspiration. As we went along, we worked hard, collaborated, compromised, and in the end, we were able to achieve a selection fit for a rockstar. Of course, we hit our bumps and twists and turns along the way, but I honestly think group projects teach students more than they realize. The ability to work within a team is pertinent, and a curriculum that assigns group assignments helps to build that.

Until the next one,

Ashley O.
Interior Design