College of Design Student Blogs

Super Busy Week!

mplsstp[.JPG goldstein.JPG

Hello all! As the title states, I have had quite the busy week so far. After wrapping up my final midterm yesterday in my Environmental Life Cycle Analysis (LCA) course, I have been back and forth between Minneapolis and St. Paul campuses taking care of my other courses that I've been neglecting in preparation for the LCA exam. The edited Google Maps screenshot above is the midpoint area of my commute between the two campuses, and also shows the interesting land use dynamic at the border of the Twin Cities (although they don't look very much like twins to me!). After my exam was over, I took an hour or so to unwind and visited the Goldstein Museum of Design in McNeal Hall. We have lots of museums right here on campus that are free for students, highly recommended!

econgraph.jpg hockey.JPG

One course I've really been trying to stay on top of is my microeconomics course on the West Bank of the Minneapolis Campus. Although the concepts of the class are not new to me, interpreting them graphically is definitely not my strongest suit. It's my first huge class (most of my classes are quite small with under 30 students), so I really have to take the initiative to seek out the help I need to do well - so for one of the first times in my life, I am a regular at my TA's office hours. Needless to say, I'm finally starting to get over my lifelong fear of mathematics and graphs - it's really not that bad when it comes down to it. Old habits die hard, but I think I'm in the midst of conquering this one. Outside of school, I'd say the highlight of recent days has been my first Gopher hockey game of the season! Not a huge crowd because we were playing the national under-18 team (why, I do not know), but it was still a fun time. >

Also, Happy Halloween! I did the whole costume thing last weekend so I'm not technically "celebrating" it today, but regardless, I will be gorging myself with candy later on.

- Jesse
Housing Studies, B.S.