College of Design Student Blogs

Don't Miss Out! Upcoming Events and Networking Opportunities

If there is one thing I wish I would have learned earlier in the Graphic Design program, it would be the importance of networking and going to networking events. If your portfolio is the most important tool for landing you a job after school, the people you know through your professional network is definitely a close second. Business like hiring people who they already know or are recommended by a current employee. In addition, there are often job or internship openings that you may only find out about when someone who works at the business tells you. There's always a lot of fun and exciting design events going on in the Twin Cities area, and many of them are free! Let's take a look at some upcoming design events that will help with developing your professional network. Before we jump in, check out my post from summer that gives more specific networking tips if you haven't already.

Fall MIMA Student Event
Friday November 16th (P.S. That is this Friday!) - FREE

For this student event, MIMA Higher Ed. is assembling a panel of real-life agency employees to explain what job titles like Account Executive, Digital Strategist or Creative Director actually mean when it comes to the daily work of an agency -- and what it takes to earn one. There is also free pizza and networking opportunities!

Dirty Laundry
Thursday November 29th (Make sure to register!) - FREE

Dirty Laundry delivers the dirt on design. Listen in as design professionals reveal their best and worst experiences working in the world of design, and share career tales with a humorous spin. Prepare yourself for one juicy night of design gossip! Free refreshments and networking opportunities!

DSC_2917.jpg

See Change: The Power of Visual Communication
May 21st - 22nd (Something to keep your eye on!) - DISCOUNTED for students

See Change 2013 will consist of an evening keynote address on Tuesday, May 21 followed by an entire day of presentations from national and local speakers on Wednesday, May 22. Keynote speakers last year included George Lois, the famous Ad man who is characterized in the TV show Mad Men; Joe Duffy, and many more. Again, a ton of great networking opportunities and you get a discount as student (free food throughout the conference)!

These are a look at just a few events coming up that I am excited for. I'll make sure to mention any more in future blog posts, but I wanted to make sure everyone is aware of the awesome event and networking opportunities I wish I had paid attention to early in my college career.

Sean M.
Graphic Design