College of Design Student Blogs

Ready, Set, Go!

As I've transitioned into the second half of the semester, I have found myself at the starting line of final projects and the race to the end is about to begin. I've got plenty to keep me busy from now until the end of the semester, but the thing I must remember is not to burn out. When this part of the semester comes up, some people start to panic, but it is really important to take a step back and be mindful of endurance and pacing yourself if you want to succeed. I mean, when you think about it, it's a lot like running a race. You have an end goal (the finish line) in mind, and you need to get there quickly and efficiently without getting overwhelmed with the distance you will travel.

.jpgRight now, the biggest thing on my plate is my final project for my Interior Design Studio. We are designing a retail space from the ground up. Everything from the concept of the space to the client, floor plan and finishes (as well as many other things) will be completely up to us as individual designers. It's so exciting because we each have total control over what our store will become. It will be a lot of work, but I cannot wait to see the end result. Imagining that is what will keep me going through the duration of this project!

In my other classes, I also have some pretty big assignments. To be honest, I view these assignments as hurdles in the race (and I don't mean that in a bad way). My final studio project is the race that will consume the majority of my focus, but if I want to come out on top, I can't lose sight of the hurdles along the way.

I've included a picture of my most recent to-do list. This is the way I stay on top of things as I make my way through this metaphoric race to the end of the semester. I find that keeping track of everything I have on my plate in an organized way is the greatest tool I can utilize as I plow through my workload.

Until next time!

Ashley O.
Interior Design