College of Design Student Blogs

It Was A Chair. Is It a CHAIR?

Hello again,

It's crazy to think that the end of this semester is less than a month away. On that note, I think it would be a good idea to show you one of the project I recently completed for a class. I talked about a furniture design class I am taking and how we are going to "pimp my ride" dumpster chairs in my past blog. Well, the wait is over. I have the re-designed chair(?) prototype right here for you.

As I mentioned in previous blog, I don't use a chair, I don't own a chair, and I am not planning on getting one anytime soon. So, the dumpster chair I found has to evolve into something else that would enhance my experience of working on the floor. Below is my 3-minute proposal and result sketch presentation. I discovered that the backrest piece has a unique curvature that allow my body to shift at different angle when resting on top of it. After several trials and errors, I came up with a system of multipurpose angled wood piece as you see in the image below.

Untitled-2.jpg

The Sketch Presentation

Untitled-1.jpg

This image was taken after the class was over. The professor left his camera unattended for a short period of time, so we decided to have a little fun with it. *Photo by Tom Oliphant

Your health is the most important thing around this time of year. So, use all the resources you need to help you end your semester well. Visit the Writing Center, SMART Tutoring, Counseling and Consulting services, Recreational Center, and whatever else you need. The U of M got it all for you.

Good luck with classes and see you next blog!
-Beau S.
Architecture B.D.A.