College of Design Student Blogs

Escaping Plan: Venice

Hello again,

The temperature has been up and down lately and it makes me think about escaping Minnesota during winter. My plan is about to come true because I just submitted my study abroad application! The destination is Venice, Italy. This program will occur during the month of May, so I will have to bear this Minnesota weather in the meantime. Even though May is not really winter anymore, this plan still sounds amazing.

I chose Venice for many reasons. First, I am already familiar with Asian culture and American culture. I want to explore the European culture. Second, Venice is a city on water where car is not the primary mode of commuting. Third and the most important reason, Venice has a long history of architecture and establishment. It is the perfect place to study the changes in culture, history, landscape, and architecture through buildings. Not to mention that it is one of the prettiest places on earth.

Venezia_1847_BW.jpg

An old Venice map, drawn in 1847

There are so many learning abroad opportunities here at the University of Minnesota. Check out the Learning Abroad website for more information. You can choose to do study abroad, volunteer abroad, intern abroad, you name it. I chose to study abroad during the month of May because it works best with my schedule. You can choose to do a semester long, year long, January term, or May term like I did. Have fun exploring the world!

See you next blog!
Beau S.
Architecture B.D.A.