College of Design Student Blogs

Wait. You designed that??

When people attempt to define interior design, there are always mixed messages (some on par and others completely off). For instance, some people don't realize that interior design is NOT interior decorating and some people think it's just about throw pillows and paint colors. It's more than what the TV shows say and the fact of the matter is simple: interior design is so much more. It is about creating interior spaces that will garner optimal productivity from those who inhibit it. It is about providing comfort and safety. And you know what else? It's about hard work. Some would compare the term "interior design" to "interior architecture", and to be honest, I'd say they're close if not one in the same. Now technically, a graduate of an interior design program cannot call themselves an architect, but believe me when I say that the skill set is all there.

photo.jpegAnd speaking off skill sets, I want to talk about a project I completed today for my interior design studio course (IDES 2603). As I may have mentioned in a previous post, our big final project for studio is designing a retail space. Along with this project, one of the tasks was to design a custom casegood. If you are unfamiliar with what a casegood is, it is basically a piece of furniture that doubles as storage (think cabinets, dressers, etc). When I started in the interior design program, it never even crossed my mind that I would ever be designing a piece of furniture. It was such a cool assignment because we were able to create the perfect casegood based on our retail space. This casegood fit individual concepts and moods of the space and added a unique touch to the space because it we didn't have to use standard furniture.

The interior program here is great because it is thorough. They teach you everything you need to know and everything you would dream of knowing. I am learning so many things that will be applicable to my career as an interior designer one day. I remember back in Elementary School or Junior High when kids (me included) would ask, "when are we ever gunna use that??". It's really nice to know that I don't need to wonder that anymore.

Until the next,

Ashley
Interior Design

Sooo agree with you. Love this one:
"For instance, some people don't realize that interior design is NOT interior decorating and some people think it's just about throw pillows and paint colors. It's more than what the TV shows say and the fact of the matter is simple: interior design is so much more."

Nice post, thanks a lot Ashley...