College of Design Student Blogs

I'm going digital!

I feel like every time I start a new semester, I try out a new means of organization for my classes. In the past, I've tried physically taking notes in individual notebooks and keeping one binder just to name a couple of the things. This semester though, I'm trying out using my laptop. I'll admit, I've done this in the past, but this time I've got a really good feeling about it.

photo-1.jpgFor starters, computers appeal to me because I can easily reference my notes and everything is legible... I have spell check, and I can easily access notes from course websites to supplement my lectures and study sessions. It's kind of like a magic notebook/binder/planner/computer all wrapped up into my handy (and lightweight) laptop. Since I use a lot of electronic organization as it is, it's kind of nice that I'm always on my computer and always in touch with everything I need. I use Google Calender like it's my religion, I'm obsessed with my email, and obviously I love blogging. By having my personal computer on me at all times, I always have everything handy and I am always able to be productive. Studio IV and my Lighting Design and Safety classes both have a lot of group projects in store for us this semester, and since many other students use Google Calender, it makes it really easy to set up meetings and communicate.

So far, I'm also really liking my laptop for taking notes during lectures. I used to be big on handwritten notes because it gets ingrained in my brain initially better, but I find I can take more thorough notes via my laptop and from there I usually make handwritten flash cards with the important content.

I'll keep you posted on how this digital method goes, but I sure can say I like it so far! How do you guys like taking your notes? Leave a comment below!

Until next time,
Ashley O.
Interior Design