College of Design Student Blogs

Joining the Real World

Hello again,

The weather in Minneapolis has been unkind lately. However, it did not stop students to come to Rapson on the first day of class (yesterday!) It was nice to see Rapson hall filled with wonderful and familiar faces again.

Recently, I got a job offer as a Social Design Intern. I will be working with a design firm, an educational institution, and a homeless emergency housing to develop new strategy program for homeless teens. It is design meets education meets homelessness. The best job I could ever ask for. You may wonder how architecture is related to my job as a Social Design Intern. First, I have to destroy any misunderstanding that architecture degree means building buildings only. There are a lot more to architecture and design than just pretty buildings. Second, I am using what we all designers are familiar with...design thinking process, and incorporate with other needed areas in our community such as education and homelessness.

Before I go, I will leave you with an inspiring video from a well-known designer, Emily Pilloton, about the importance of design education and the changing world. Enjoy!

See you next blog!
Beau S.
Architecture B.D.A.