College of Design Student Blogs

Exciting Projects for the Semester!

Now that we are more than a week into the semester, I thought I would use this blog to talk about my classes that I am excited about and some of the projects we will be doing in them. I think it's pretty safe to say that as you progress into your final semesters in the Graphic Design program, the required studios, as well as those available to take as electives, become more exciting and more applicable to what your career may entail after graduation. However, without great foundation courses and lower level studios, we would likely be much less successful in these upper level studios. Below is a brief overview of the projects I am excited about in my 3 studios this semester:

GD 2 - Identity and Symbols:
A majority of this studio will consist of developing a visual identity and brand for a business of your choosing. That doesn't sound too hard, but when you account for all of the steps that go into creating a successful brand from scratch, it begins to be a bit overwhelming. After choosing a business to create and brand, a symbol and logotype, stationary system and business cards, website design, and graphic standards manual for the company will be created. No matter where you are at in the program, it wouldn't be a bad idea to start brainstorming now about a business you might want to brand in GD2!

GD 3 - Packaging Design:firesticks.jpg
We will do 3 main packaging designs in GD3. First, we are redesigning the packaging (and branding if necessary) of a sport related product. After searching REI and Dick's Sporting Goods for a package I'd like to redesign, I settled a pretty ugly fire-starting stick package (shown right). The other two packaging designs we will do will be a beverage package redesign as well as some sort of candy bar or nutrition bar. A hands-on class that lets you get away from the computer (at least sometimes) should be fun!

Interactive Design:
This is probably the class I am most excited for this semester! If you ever have the chance to take a class with Ange Wang, definitely do it. She is a great teacher and often creates projects with real clients that could result in a job or internship outside of class. On Monday, we met with our clients for our first project, a website redesign. We will be doing usability evaluations, prototyping redesigns, and developing a new website for the Minnesota Association of Government Communicators. As you can tell by their site that was created in 2005, they are in desperate need of a new site! We will also be working on a personal interactive project of our choosing throughout the semester - more on that later!

Have a great rest of the week!

Sean Mateer
Graphic Design