College of Design Student Blogs

Preparing for a New Semester

When I start a new semester of classes, I always like to go into it as organized and prepared as I can possibly be because I know it is going to get really hectic really quick. Here are some of the things I do to start my graphic design semester off on the right foot:

1) Clean off my computer:
By the end of a semester, I usually have a super cluttered desktop, as well as download and document folders. Cleaning up and organizing the files on your computer after one semester will keep it from continually becoming more cluttered and will also free up space and help it run faster. P.S. I still need to finish doing this - this blog post is holding me to it.

2) Get a new moleskin notebook:moleskin.jpg
I love using these little guys for jotting notes, keeping track of my daily assignments, or doodling ideas for a project I am currently working on. I used to be one of those people who never wrote down their assignments, yet I didn't forget about them either. However, I've found that having tasks and projects written in a nice little list helps me to better visualize what I need to get done and keeps my overall stress level slightly lower.

3) Clean up email inbox:
A clean inbox is a happy inbox. While I keep a tight rein on inbox, I also like to go through every few months and unsubscribe from anything that doesn't pertain to me. If you get a lot of junk mail, look for the unsubscribe links at the bottom of them.

4) Back up computer:
You should do this way more than once a semester, but now would be a good time to do so if you haven't in awhile. If you aren't backing up your computer, you should seriously invest in a decent external drive and back it up ASAP. I have seen several friends lose a lot of important work when their computer's hard drive crashed. As a design student, losing your work is losing your portfolio and without your portfolio, 4 years of schooling doesn't mean much. Don't wait until something bad happens!

I hope your first week of classes goes great!

Sean Mateer
Graphic Design

gee! i couldn't agree more. i just lost all of my work on my three flashdrives because i lost them. there goes three years down the drain.