College of Design Student Blogs

Step Into the Picture

Hello again,

It's officially 2013! Happy New Year to you all. A couple months ago, I had a chance to be part of Step Into the Picture promotional photo-shoot with the Office for Student Engagement Program. University of Minnesota highly encourages its students to be involved outside classroom. There are plenty of opportunities for you such as internships, student organizations, study abroad, employments, volunteer, leadership positions, etc. The list is endless. With over 700 student groups on campus, there are everything to match any types of interests you may have. I have been involved with several students organizations in the past, including American Institute of Architecture Students, Freedom By Design, and Thai Student Association of Minnesota. I was also employed by Housing and Residential Life as a Community Advisor. As you can see, my involvement did not limit to only architectural-related topics.

Step into the picture poster.jpg

A poster from the photoshoot. I took this from a posting board as a keepsake. They are now being posted around campus. Look for me!

Being involved has taught me many things: time management, social skills, professional skills and most importantly friendship. The reason we encourage you to be involved is everyone who walks into classroom will walk out with the same information. Involvement will be the one thing that sets you apart from the crowd. The university is a big place, but you can make it smaller by finding the place where you belong. I definitely feel the sense of belonging because I was involved and I would advise you to do the same. There are many pictures waiting for you to step into. I did!

See you next blog!
Beau Sinchai
Architecture B.D.A.