College of Design Student Blogs

Exploring Career Resources at the U

With less than a week of break left before spring courses begin, I've been trying to use at least some of my free time productively. My first move was scheduling an advising appointment with Wanda, my wonderful academic adviser. Throughout the past few years in the College of Design, advising appointments with Wanda have always been enlightening. Not only am I advised on the various ways of approaching my degree program, but also introduced to the impressive variety of campus resources available to me. As graduation draws near, here are a few adviser-certified career resources I've been either exploring or revisiting lately:

CreerIntServ.JPGCareer and Internship Services is the primary career preparation and exploration resource for housing studies students, and provides detailed information on career possibilities/trajectories based on data provided by housing studies alumni. Some of the information includes alumni job titles & career profiles, salary & employment statistics of housing graduates, words of advice from alumni, past internship sites, and more. Aside from all of the online information Career and Internship Services provides us, they also have knowledgeable career counselors available by appointment at their conveniently located offices in McNeal Hall.hsgresc.JPG

GoldPASS is another useful job searching tool available to all U of M students and recent grads. Simply put, "GoldPASS is the U of M's online database to help connect students and alumni with employers, volunteer organizations, and internships across the country." While I've used GoldPASS in the past to search for internships and part-time student positions, I'm now taking a closer look at potential entry-level professional openings to begin my career with. Fingers crossed! GoldPasz.JPG

Jesse LaMaack | Housing Studies, B.S.