College of Design Student Blogs

Groovy Stuff

photo.jpegOver the past few weeks, my Lighting class has been working on designing a lighting fixture. What's especially cool about this project is that we are collaborating with a company names Groovy Stuff located in Dallas, Texas. Essentially, they are our client and we are designing lighting fixtures that fit their look, feel, and style while incorporating our own point of view. Each student has been working on multiple prototypes for the project and we have been using Facebook to communicate with each other, our professor (Dr. Asojo), and the guys over at Groovy Stuff (Chris and Lee).

photo-1.jpegThe first stage in this project was sketching and sketching and sketching to come up with multiple prototypes and options for the company to choose from. We uploaded our sketches to the Facebook group we all share and we were able to recieve feedback. From there, the design process really took off because after each bit of feedback, changes would be made, new ideas would be born, and another set of sketches would be uploaded. Over the course of time, I came to a point where I was really happy with my design. I was able to share my sketches once again and explain my idea from a conceptual and functional standpoint. The clients seemed to really like my idea, so I decided to run with it!

Yesterday, our class met in Rapson Hall so we would have access to the wood shop and technology labs. I found my materials (lots of free, scrap wood!) and started talking with the employees of the wood shop to better understand the logistics of my lighting fixture.

So far, I have built a frame and stained it which you can see here. Maybe if I make more progress I'll do an additional post about it! Let me know if you guys would like that :)

Until the next one,

Ashley
Interior Design

Excellent work! These lighting fixtures are really beautiful. At http://bellarooms.com we are always looking for new, original ideas to inspire kids rooms. Looking forward to seeing your creative works in the years to come, please post some more on this!