College of Design Student Blogs

Student Lounge Redesign!

Hi Guys! Hope all is well.

photo-2.jpegSo for this week I wanted to give you guys a little peek at what I'm working on in my Interior Design Studio. I'm not sure if I told you guys, but we got a really awesome assignment where we are redesigning a student lounge located on the East Bank of the U of M. It's an Engineering building and the student lounge is dedicated to an engineering organization called Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, or IEEE for short. During the first week of classes, our studio sections went to the student lounge to assess the current state of the space and interview the client. It was really interesting getting to actually go and speak with students who use the space to see what they would need out of a proposed design solution. We took measurements, snapped photos, and jotted plenty of notes.

After this initial meeting, the next step was to organize thoughts and start brainstorming for concepts and concept images. Concepts are important in design because they help to guide your design process from schematics, to preliminaries, to finals. My concept words were "structured", "connected", "fresh", and "progressive". The concept images help to illustrate what the words selected mean.

After working on conceptual stuff, the next step was to move into space planing and preliminary floor plans. After we got things sketched and modeled, we presented our initial thoughts, concepts, and plans to the client. My next step is to use the feedback I have received to improve my space plan. After that, I'll finalize products, color themes, and other little details.

I'll be sure to keep you all posted!

Ashley O.
Interior Design.