College of Design Student Blogs

UROP: Giving Back to the Community

My professor Dr. Asojo and two 3rd year interior design students, Carol Erklouts and Tawana Terrell recently completed a UROP project. UROP stands for Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program. It is a program that allows undergraduate students to conduct research, learn independently, gain funding and be compensated for work. It might sound scary or intimidating, but it's actually fairly easy to set up. You just need to submit a propsal and find a faculty mentor. If you'd like to learn more about how to get started, check out this link.

For Dr. Asojo, Carol, and Tawana's UROP project, they worked on the interior and lighting design of a science lab for a K-8 school, St. John the Baptist Catholic School in New Brighton, MN. They began by conducting initial research which quickly became more and more indepth as they learned more about what the space would require for optimal functionality. Once the data was collected, the design process of a new and improved science lab began.

1.jpegThey attended a fundraising event that the school hosted and presented their design solution early in February. The design solution was so compelling, that it helped to secure funds so the project could go from a plan to a reality.

When I think about the impact interior designers have on the community, it really solidifies how important the profession is. This UROP project inspires me and I hope to conduct a project of my own this summer or in the Fall 2013 semester.

Oh yeah! And before I forget - if you are an admitted CDes freshman for Fall 2013, I hope to see you at the Dean's Reception this Saturday! I will be there with many other bloggers, faculty, professionals, and current students. If you have any questions, please let me know and I'd be happy to find you answers! You can also directly get in touch with Lori Swenson at 612-624-6250 or lgilbert@umn.edu.

Until the next one,

Ashley O.
Interior Design