College of Design Student Blogs

Whose Basement?

Hello again,

Last week, I had a chance to visit Leonardo's Basement, an innovative educational organization. It was our field trip for one of the BDA workshops, ARCH 3250 - Creating a Culture of Innovation: the Link Between Environment and Learning. We look at new ways to create learning environments that will foster the individuality and creativity of every student. This means that the old traditional classroom setting with rows of table and teacher standing in front of the whiteboard is no longer relevant. It is bringing architecture to the changing world and think about how we can prepare ourselves and the future generation for the ever-evolving technology.

The moment I stepped into the space, I was amazed by the amount of random stuff ranging from glitters to mechanical piece inside a grand piano. The only instruction we had was to create an environment for learning for kids that were there. We can use anything that is available in the space. This freedom of making and doing is also applied to the kids. I saw kids using saw, climb up and down to get the stuff they want without any fear. What a wonderful way of teaching! I love how they just let the kids take risks and learn from mistake rather than preventing kids from making mistakes and hurt themselves a little.

wes.jpg

Left: Critique by Prof. Wes. Right: Project by a group of class ARCH 3250
Photos by Justin Sims Photography

At the end, we have "Professor Wes" who is about 8 year-old, critique our design of the space. He told us what he likes and what we can work on. For example, "I think the bubble wrap floor would be nice" -Professor Wes. I can only agree to that comment.

Last thing before I leave: the Dean's Reception is coming up. I hope to see some of you there. I will also blog about this after the event!

See you next blog!
Beau S.
Architecture B.D.A.

http://www.justinzsimsphotography.com/