College of Design Student Blogs

Bitter Sweet

Hello again,

This past week in my BDA workshop, we had a chance to video skype with a professor from Harvard University who is also the author of "Creating Innovator", Tony Wagner. It was a very casual conversation about education, how we can create the culture for innovations, and the future of education and design.

tony.jpg

Skype session with Tony Wagner in our BDA Lounge

This past Monday was really bitter sweet for me. That is because it was the last day of my last architecture class! What a great four years. I cannot ask for a better college experience. I am so glad I chose the U of M, no regrets. The best part is that my last project was super fun. I mentioned a couple weeks ago about my project to redesign the Humphrey School of Public Affairs. We recognize that traditional classroom and lecture hall setting was not an effective way of learning. Our goal is to create a new type of learning environment that supports collaboration, innovation, and create great leaders for the future. We propose our design to architects who are working in the Educational Design field of architecture, current Humphrey School of Public Affairs students, and classmates. Below are the picture from the final review. Being at the College of Design and the University of Minnesota was the best thing that ever happened to me. It shaped and defined my view as a designer in this diverse and changing world.

hhh.jpg

Final presentation for the design proposal (Photos by Sara Marquardt)

See you next blog!
Beau S.
Architecture B.D.A.