College of Design Student Blogs

Spring Break

Hello readers! I hope all of you are having a wonderful spring break, and relaxing a bit! Last week was my week of midterms so it was rather stressful. I had four papers, a portfolio class project, and a retail midterm exam all due! But, I got through it, and got to have some time to relax over the week of break. I first headed home to Iowa, to visit family and have some down time, but then it was off to Chicago for the weekend! While in Chicago, I had a great time visiting the Art Institute of Chicago. Having time off from school is great to relax, but I also try and take advantage of family trips to have the opportunity to see art and design exhibitions around the country. Last summer, I was able to see Jean Paul Gaultier's exhibit in the de Young Museum in San Francisco, and this week I was able to see the exhibit on Japanese fashion in the Art Institute of Chicago: "Material Translations". The exhibitions displays many fashions and designs from Japanese designers and showcases how Japanese fashion, and more broadly Eastern fashion, is different from the more commonplace (for us) Western fashion world. Eastern fashion is quickly spreading and it's influence is being seen on high fashion runways in New York, London, etc.

The exhibition shows designs, more specifically, from the 1980s through the early 2000s, and has pieces from more well known lines like Comme des Garçons, by designer Rei Kawakubo. While I wasn't sure if I could take photos in the gallery, I wanted to show you a piece from the exhibition. Below is an image from the gallery, which I found online. Enjoy!

Japan.png

Lucie, Apparel Design