College of Design Student Blogs

Thoughtful Classroom Discussions

Because of the small and personal nature of the housing studies program, there are a lot of unique advantages offered to students who want to get the most out of their education. One of my personal favorites are the consistently small and interactive classroom settings. After a few years of primarily housing studies courses, my current lineup of mostly larger lecture hall courses outside of the department has was a bit of a shock at first.
I am taking one housing class this semester, though - Rural Housing Issues with Dr. Ann Ziebarth. Because there's only a handful of students enrolled in the course, we've gotten to do a lot of neat activities together as a class. One day we met at the HGA Gallery in Rapson Hall for a guided tour of the Rural Design exhibit by Dewey Thorbeck, and on different day received a guest lecture from representatives of the Housing Assistance Council via Skype.
Lately, classes have been more of an interactive discussion about the course material. Personally, I feel like it is a more enlightening and in-depth way of learning opposed to other more formal classroom settings. Below is one of the mind mapping activities we created together recently to collect key points of a book we've been reading about rural housing in Great Britain.

MindMapHSG5484.JPG

Hope you all are enjoying the lovely weather.

Jesse
B.S. Housing Studies