College of Design Student Blogs

All Kinds of Busy

sketchupScreenshpt.pngWith only one month of school left in my undergraduate career, time sure is flying by quickly. That being said, I am keeping plenty busy and there's no time for the senior slump. With a robust variety of classes this semester as I finish up my final requirements, I've been doing all sorts of schoolwork lately. In Design in the Digital Age, my classmates and I are learning various methods of digital modeling like SketchUp, Revit, and Kerkythea. I'm not use to these sorts of courses being a housing studies student, but I'm finally starting to get the hang of it (for the most part). The whole experience has definitely given me a different perspective on housing design, and I'm glad to have learned how to use these various technologies.

spchhhhhh.jpgOutside of my design-intensive courses, I'm also taking a public speaking course to fulfill my communications requirement. Being in a class of mostly freshmen and sophomores, the housing knowledge I've gained over the years has been used in almost all of my speeches. Although it's a relatively small class, I feel like I've educated my peers on the various dimensions of housing and communities - which I hope they can take with them and use in a positive way moving forward with the rest of their education here at the U.

Happy Spring!

Jesse LaMaack
Housing Studies, B.S.