College of Design Student Blogs

Fabric Printing

This past week I used the new fabric printer in McNeal to create some of my own fabric designs for my soft-lines class, and I thought it would be fun to show it to you!

The fabric printer is a new piece of equipment and is available to all College of Design students. Paying your student service fees gives you access to great equipment like the computer labs, plotters, and now this fabric printer.

The fabric printer prints on 100% cotton broadcloth that is 44 inches wide. When printing it is important to remember to format your image to be no bigger than 42 inches wide, to accomodate for the selvage edge. This ensures that your entire image will show up and won't fray. When you create your pattern or print, like I did, use photoshop and create your image with no higher than 150dpi. If you are printing more than one yard, decreasing your dpi may be necessary in order to print. Printing costs are by the foot and can be found at labs.design.umn.edu.

Here are some photos of my fabric! This is a print of an abstracted photo of plant cells under a microscope. We will be using this fabric to line and accent our shirt for our Target collaboration.

IMAG1068.jpg

IMAG1074.jpg

Lucie, Apparel Design