College of Design Student Blogs

I GOT AN INTERNSHIP!

eda34829410d384cc518d827bbeba9ab.jpgI haven't mentioned anything about this in earlier posts because it was all so tentative, but now that I've officially had my first day interning, I feel like I can tell you that I was recently hired as an Interior Design intern at Cuningham Group. I cannot begin to express my excitement and overall happiness.

Some of you might wonder how I landed an internship in the first place. Good question. The answer is NETWORKING. You've heard it before and you'll hear it again - it's all about who you know. The power of networking is incredible and it got me an internship at a dream firm.

It all started back in February... I attended an NEWH Speed Mentoring event where I was able to cycle around to different tables and chat with designers and sales representatives for a little less than 10 minutes each. In that short period of time I was able to leave a lasting impression. Because of that impression, about a month later I got an email letting me know Cuningham was in need of an intern ASAP. I sent over my resume and online portfolio and I guess you could say the rest is history because I interviewed and got the job.

I am eager to see what the future has in store with me, but I am so happy and excited for the way things are lining up. I'll try to keep you guys posted about my internship experience!

Until the next one,

Ashley
Interior Design