College of Design Student Blogs

Internship Update

HLlionee.pngAs I've mentioned in previous posts, I've spent the past few months interning for a Minneapolis-based nonprofit tenant advocacy organization called HOME Line. I mostly answer incoming phone calls from Minnesota renters and provide them housing-related legal advice under supervision of a licensed attorney specializing in state landlord-tenant law. I'll admit that it took some time to become familiar with all of the cases and statutes that govern our rental housing arena, but I eventually became a fluent speaker in the language of tenants rights. Most of what I use at work is outlined in the book "How to be the Smartest Renter on Your Block," which was written and published by HOME Line attorneys.

Best of all, I'm applying my housing knowledge and communication skills to help others who are often in urgent need of legal help. I get the opportunity to speak directly with so many different people from all walks of life and hear their stories, which are always at least moderately interesting. I feel that my experiences at this particular internship will definitely benefit me professionally one day, especially if I end up taking work at a nonprofit housing agency or property management company - just in time for graduation next month!

Hope all is well with you and your housing,

Jesse L.
Housing Studies, B.S.

Pic:http://www.homelinemn.org/wp-content/uploads/book/book-72dpi(web).png