College of Design Student Blogs

Cheers, Mr. Mayor!

rybak00876.jpgToday I gave a commemorative speech to my public speaking class honoring the mayor of Minneapolis, R.T. Rybak - a great man and true go-getter. He's been our faithful mayor since 2001 and is currently serving his third consecutive term in office. Rybak is definitely one of my local heros, and most of us here in Minneapolis were sad to hear that he will not be seeking re-election for 2014.

R.T. Rybak has been progressive from the start, and is most known for his initiatives which have visibly reduced crime rates in the city, created a flow of new jobs, and assisted in the creation of affordable housing units for low-income households and families. He's also gained national attention as an activist and beloved local leader. While his popularity was thought by many to land him a role in higher political office, he stated in an interview in 2011 that "local government is the last standing functional form of government in America and possibly the world." He's also a genuinely great guy to be around - probably the only mayor who has crowd surfed at a major public event (Trampled by Turtles at First Avenue in 2004).

Have a great week everyone!

Jesse LaMaack
Housing Studies, B.S.