College of Design Student Blogs

End of Semester

Hello all! It's finally spring in Minneapolis! It is a welcome change on campus, that is for sure!

As some of you may know, I am currently a senior and will be graduating in 3 weeks! That fact alone is crazy to me, as I feel like my 4 years at the University of Minnesota have really flown by. That being said, I am very very excited! The end of any semester means the wrap up of final papers, projects and exams, as well as the dreaded finals week! This semester, I have three final projects, two presentations, two final papers, and one final exam. This sounds like a lot, but realistically it is comparable to many of my seamsters, so I'm use to it. A nice thing about design majors, and the College of Design, is that most of your classes will have final projects and presentations rather than tests or exams. These can be studio classes with final garments and illustration projects, or something like what I am working on currently, with my Target collaboration which combines my major, apparel design, and minor, retail merchandising. This also means that most of these projects are due before finals week, or during the last week of class. This gives you more time for other classes, usually general education requirements, that typically have finals and exams during the week of finals. Having this kind of separation and timing allows you to prioritize and focus on what is most important at the time.

One of my big final projects if my Target collaboration that I am working on. This project is due and will be presented this Thursday! We have a lot to wrap up, but the project is coming together well and looks great! A part of the project was to create a "takeaway" item for our Target sponsors to keep after they view our project, to act as a remeinder of our group and project. I create a paper doll for our takeaway, and am currently working on finishing up all the details! Below is a pic!

paperdollpic.jpg

Lucie, Apparel Design