College of Design Student Blogs

Tying Up Loose Ends

It feels great to be done! Other than tying up a few loose ends with one of my jobs, I'm all done for the semester! The last few weeks were pretty crazy, but it sure feels great to be almost done with all of my semester class and work commitments. Last week, I finished my job as a student assistant at the Usability Lab, as well as my job as graphic designer and video producer at the College of Design Student Services. I've been so busy the last few weeks that I haven't been able to talk much about some of my class and work projects, so I'll wrap up the semester with a few fun projects I have been working on.

A few weeks ago, I talked a little bit about my personal project for my Interactive Design. I created a responsive design framework specifically for one page websites. If you do a lot of web surfing, you might find that one page sites have recently become popular for things like portfolios, restaurants, landing pages for new apps, and more. In order to differentiate my framework from others, I decided to cater it specifically to one page sites. You can check out the landing page I made for Structure, the name of my framework, and even download the template to create your own one page site. It's still a bit of a work in progress, but the existing downloadable template contains all the html and javascript you need to make a one page responsive site. The template contains minimal css styling so you can easily style the site how you please without a bunch of existing style and code getting in your way.

Another web project I have been working on outside of class is call Design High. It's a toolkit and set of workshops created in order to help high school art and communication teachers bring more design oriented thinking and activities into their classrooms. Design thinking is a great skill to have, and many advocate that it should be taught to everyone.

florida1.jpg

Well, that's all for now. As you can see above, I am currently down in Florida enjoying the sunshine and some time with my family before I head to Austin, TX for the remainder of the summer. Do you have any awesome summer plans? Let me know in the comments!

Sean Mateer
Graphic Design