College of Design Student Blogs

Woah! I feel like an adult!

The weird part is I woke up one day and it just kind of happened. I woke up and just felt like an adult. Let Thursday, May 16th, 2013 go down in history.

comic-119-growing_up-small.png

A huge part of this sudden adulthood comes from working full time at my internship with Cuningham Group. I wake up at 6:30am Monday-Friday and work until 5:00pm. I get an hour lunch break in the mix of things where I can do a variety of things including grabbing a bite, sitting outside in the St. Anthony Main or Northeast areas, running errands, or working through it if things at work are busy enough. It's a big adjustment to make in comparison to life as a college student, but I'm really loving it so far.

The biggest difference in working full time is that once you show up to work, you're going and going and going from 8:00am-12:00pm, then you take your break (an hour), and then you come back and you're going and going and going again until approximately 5:00pm. After that you go home and have a huge chunk of free time until the next day and you also normally have a weekend that includes little to nothing about work, just emails here and there. Life as a college student goes all day, but it has lots of ups and downs mixed in. You go to class, then have a break to cruise BuzzFeed on your laptop, then you hop on the bus and head to your next class, then maybe you meet with your group about a new project that was just assigned, then you go home and watch some quality television followed by a coffee shop session to plow through your homework.

Both lifestyles are cool for different reasons, but having some variety in the summer months by actually having a set schedule of the things I must do is really nice. Other things that have me feeling like an adult include recently turning 21, applying for my first credit card, signing up for a gym membership, considering 401k options and starting auto-payments for my student loan debt (the last two with the help of my boyfriend who happens to be a business student).

Growing up is hard at times, but I won't lie and say it isn't fun too!

Ashley Ochiagha
Interior Design