College of Design Student Blogs

From Farms to Photoshop

Hi everyone! My name is Kate, and I'm a sophomore graphic design student here at the College of Design.

Although I've lived in Minnesota my entire life, I never expected to end up here at the U. I'm originally from Tracy, Minnesota, which is a small town in the southwest corner of the state. I graduated with a class of 61 students, most of whom (myself included) spent their summers working on farms. The photo below shows my friend Lexi and I during one summer that we worked together on a local farm. Our job was scour corn and bean fields for large rocks that could potentially damage farm equipment. RockPicking.jpg

Despite my rural upbringing, I always had big dreams for the future. From the time I was a toddler, I wanted to be an artist. As I got older, my goals shifted to pro-athlete to archaeologist and everywhere in between. When I was finally faced with the decision of what to pursue in college, the answer came surprisingly easy - graphic design was the obvious choice. With my major decided, I began to look at colleges. I was initially attracted to smaller schools, and was extremely reluctant to consider the U. After some persuasion from my family, I finally agreed to go on a tour.

Much to my surprise, I immediately loved it - I loved the city, the campus, and especially the College of Design. Now, with a year under my belt, I'm happy to say that I have not been disappointed. I've enjoyed my classes immensely and I've made some great friends in the process. I'm looking forward to sharing my experiences with all of you throughout the upcoming year, and I hope that you are able to find your home here at the College of Design.

If you would like to stay up-to-date on this blog, check back regularly at z.umn.edu/cdesblogs.

Kate
Graphic Design