College of Design Student Blogs

Right Back At It

Thumbnail image for IMG_3567 (1).jpgJust like that, summer is over and without missing a beat we're right back at it with the first day of classes among us. Every summer I get anxious as August nears its end because I feel like I've forgotten how to be a student, but every time the first day of school strikes in the beginning of September, I hit my stride again. I find that as I progress in my program, school days feel more like work days because our projects and topics of study become more realistic and reminiscent of the real world. Through my internship this summer I got a real good sense of the real design world so I've come to know what it looks like and I am recognizing it more and more in the curriculum.

This summer I worked full time as an Interior Design Intern at Cuningham Group, an architecture firm located in Minneapolis. It was a rewarding, eye opening, and lesson learning experience that I am so glad to have under my belt. The knowledge I took and will continue to take from that internship are directly applicable to life and school and I feel like I got a crash course on what my life could be. Throughout the summer I was able to work on several projects as well as familiarize myself with products, materials, and finishes through my work in their library. Internships are not just important, but quintessential for success and I'm happy to say I'll be continuing my internship with them into the school year. If you'd like to learn more about how I landed my internship, check out my blog post on it here.

I'm involved in a lot including Interior Design Student Association where I am the Vice President, Cuningham as an Intern, and the College of Design Student Services as an Events and Communications Office Assistant as well as a Blogger. As the semester goes on, I hope to keep you informed and updated on my coursework, internship, community involvement and life in general. Thanks for reading and stay tuned for more!

x

Ashley Ochiagha
Interior Design

P.S. It was so fun meeting many of my readers throughout the summer at events like Sneak Preview! I hope to see you all in the future - don't be a stranger!