College of Design Student Blogs

Black Shoes and Interviews

This past week I got out my fancy pants and my black shoes; I was getting ready for an interview! But I wasn't the one who was being interviewed. Rather, I interviewed a project manager at PPL. Project for Pride in Living, Inc. (PPL) is a nonprofit that works with lower-income individuals and families. PPL helps communities by developing affordable housing and providing services such as childcare and job training. Feel free to learn more about them at www.ppl-inc.org.

PPL1.jpgPPL2.jpg

My interview with the project manager was an informational interview. (I learned about these from one of the advisors at the handy-dandy career center on campus.) I asked her what PPL was all about, what her job as project manager looked like on a daily basis, and other questions along those lines. I thought it would be a little bit scary, but it was actually a lot of fun! She gave me a lot of advice.

The career center website, http://www.careerhelp.umn.edu/interviewprofessionals.html, gave me all of the tips I needed going into the informational interview. And so I have started networking! Which means, and so I have started making friends in the professional world of housing!

Stay sharp :D
-Karly, Housing Studies B.S.