College of Design Student Blogs

My Semester in New York City!

mc.jpg

Never did I ever think that I would have the opportunity to intern for Nina Garcia, of Marie Claire, AND Kelly Cutrone, of People's Revolution, all in one semester! It all started with a routine advising appointment with my (seriously amazing) Retail Merchandising adviser, Katrina Thompson. I had mentioned that I always dreamed of living in New York City and would love to find a way to complete my required internship there. She told me about the U's partnership with Kent State University's NYC semester study program. I would be able to take classes and intern in New York and it would all count for credit at the U of M?! I was in.

After a lot of planning, paperwork, and long discussions with my parents, I decided that Kent State's program was the right fit and that I needed to take advantage of this once in a lifetime opportunity to live out my dream. I completed my classes and internships at Marie Claire and People's Revolution last spring semester and needless to say, it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Yes, it was extremely challenging and yes, I did get homesick every now and then, but the personal growth I gained through that experience has been invaluable. This program is only one of the amazing opportunities that our Retail Merchandising program has to offer.

Top 3 "Pinch Me" Moments of my NYC Semester
1. Going to Nina Garcia's upper east side apartment to hand deliver dresses to her.
2. Being Kelly Cutrone's assistant for 1 day. ( I was holding my breath the entire time)
3. Working backstage with People's Revolution at New York Fashion Week.

lc.jpg
kelly.jpg

Be sure to leave any questions or comments about my semester in NYC below! I'd love to hear from you!

For more information on Kent State's NYC program, go to http://www.kent.edu/artscollege/fashion/studyAway/nycstudio/

Stay fabulous,
Katie

Hey Katie! After looking at your blog post, it has inspired me to look into the Study Away program. I was wondering if you could tell me more a little about how you found the internships, how many classes you took when you were there - did they count for credit back here at the U of M? How did you find housing, and were you able to adjust well to the program at Kent State?

Thanks!
Sonja Pearson