College of Design Student Blogs

Meet McNeal!

This semester I have received my first-ever campus job as a tour guide for the College of Design! The tours will focus on McNeal Hall on the St. Paul campus, which houses several different design programs. I will mainly be assisting prospective freshman and transfer students who are interested in apparel design, graphic design, interior design, and retail merchandising.

Until recently, my work mainly consisted of job training and shadowing other tour guides. Then last Friday, I was finally able to lead my first official tour!

My group included three students and their families, all of whom were interested in the graphic design program here at the U. This made the tour especially enjoyable for me, as I was able to share my enthusiasm for my own major. I brought them into several different studio classrooms and computer labs, and also showed off our new study space in the atrium.

StudySpace.png McNeal.jpg

Although I was a bit nervous in the beginning, that quickly evaporated as the tour progressed. The students and their families were polite, inquisitive, and seemed to be genuinely interested in the program -- I couldn't have asked for a better group to lead on my first tour. Even though they are still a long way from college, I hope that I was able to help them come one step closer to making their final decision.

Kate
Graphic Design