College of Design Student Blogs

Web Design: Celebrating the Small Victories

As I mentioned in a previous post, this semester has been a bit unusual for me as I am only enrolled in one class for my major: GDes 2342 Web Design. When I first registered for this class last spring, I was extremely excited − I had no previous experience in web design and was eager to learn something completely new.

MyFirstHomepage.jpgMy classmates and I spent the first month of the course learning how to write basic HTML code for a webpage. Although I found this topic interesting, it was a bit difficult to pick up. The code was very picky and at times could be extremely complex. After several unsuccessful attempts, I finally succeeded in creating my first webpage (shown to the right). Even though it was extremely rudimentary, it felt like a major accomplishment.

After working a bit more with HTML, the class moved on to CSS code − this is where the fun really started. We were finally able to add colors, fonts, and work with the layout of the page. After weeks of basic, unattractive web pages, it was a relief to create something a bit more appealing.

Now that the semester is halfway through, our class is finally ready to begin coding our own websites. Although most of us still have a long way to go before we are competent web designers, we have definitely made huge strides forward. I am excited to begin work on my own website and am looking forward to developing my skills further throughout the remainder of my semester!

Kate
Graphic Design